Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 2- Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder- I am not an accident.

Verse to Remember- "I am your Creator. You were in my care even before you were born." (Isiah 44:2)

Question to consider: I know that God uniquely created me. What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?

You know, being an only child, my parents always made sure that I had a healthy self-image. Of course, once I became a teenager, all that positive self-image was thrown out the window when I was relentlessly teased and bullied at school because of my uber curly and thick hair. When I finally got to high school, instead of getting teased for my hair, questions about my nationality were always brought forward. People (girls especially) didn't like me because although I looked Black, I spoke and acted "White". It made no sense to me, because in my opinion, they were simply judging me by the color of my skin instead of the content of my character.

Yes, I've had some self-identity issues, but some would probably never believe that. I accept all about me now, because I know I'm created in the likeness and image of Christ. I've accepted the fact that I'll never be a size 2, or even a size 8. I'm not going to lie though. If I could get down to a size 10, I'd be pretty darn happy... Don't get me wrong. Although I don't like the number on the scale, all it is is a number. It does not define me. Plus, I run (or I TRY to run). I try to make decent food choices. Yes, there are days that I have "fat" days, but what woman doesn't?

All in all, I'm happy with who I am. I'm by no means perfect. I do have faults. I'm a procrastinator, I'm a perfectionist. I'm completely unorganized, and sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I hate my nose. It's too big. I wish it were a tad bit smaller. I hate the way I look from a profile standpoint But with all that said, I am who I am. This is who God made, and other than a few high lights and contacts, I'm not changing anything. I am who I am, and I'm not going to be anyone else!

No comments: