Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 1- Thinking About My Purpose

Point to Ponder- It's not all about me.

Verse- "Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him" (Collossians 1:16b)

Question to Consider- In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

You know, every where I look, there's some sort of ad claiming to make me skinnier, less hairy, less grumpy, with whiter teeth, stronger abs, toner legs, etc...I'm all for keeping my temple pretty, but why? Don't get me wrong. I have my monthly maintenance rituals...mani/pedi one week, eye brow wax another, and my stylist and esthetician are on speed dial. But why do we do all this? Is this really what God had in mind when He created Eve out of Adam's rib?

I've always had the notion that my purpose for being in this world was to do something big. I don't know what "big" means, but I've always known I was destined for big things...maybe it's stardom, maybe it's not (for the record, I don't think it is). I've always wanted to make a difference in the world, and for the most part, I think I have...maybe not the global world, but at least in my little part of the world I have.

If I'm going to be brutally honest, I have to admit that I've always been a little self-centered. I've always wanted to be the center of attention, and I've always managed to bring every conversation back to me. To say that I didn't do that would defeat the purpose of this question. Who know's where it stems from, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm an only child of parents who weren't quite sure they could even have children. I'm spoiled rotten, and readily admit it. It's literally taken friends to say, "Hey Dawn...this time, it's NOT about you," to wake me up...and you know what? Sometimes, the truth hurts. But it's what I've needed to hear.

Alright, technically, I haven't answered the question, so I'm going to attempt to now. How can I remind myself that my life is for Him, not for me? Well, I can continue to do the things I'm already doing such as volunteering, giving of myself to help others, etc. But one thing I need to start doing once again is going back to church. I need to make a conscious effort to go to church each and every Sunday, whether I feel like it or not. I probably need to try and do some sort of daily devotional each day to remind myself as well...

No comments: